Friday 6 November 2009

One of those time when you think it will be easy...

I skipped going to the gym today since I felt lazy and had my delivery arriving late. That's right, I got my 30 kg vest today. What a beast it is... I carried the package up the stairs and I thought there had to be extra weights in there or something because it sure as hell felt heavier than a barbell with 10 kg's on it...

My plan was to do some home-excersizes with it to see how it worked out etc. First some views about the vest:
It`s a beast. 30x 1 kg sandbag weights in it doesn`t make it small. The strapping that holds it together between the back and the front is really crappy. It's some cardboard where the seem actually broke during my first excersize (yeah, shit). I don't mind it much tho, the strapping didn't fit well so I'd have to re-do it anyway. Plus I have to add an extra strap higher up just a little bit below the armpits because otherwise I can't do push-ups with it. Sit-ups is out of the question unless you just empty the back on it. There are 15 slots in the front and 15 slots in the back.

If you want a vest for metcons, this is not the one for you. 30 kg's is WAY too much for metcons anyway, trust me. You might want to use this one for short sprints if you fix the straps. Pullups, squats, etc. Just simply walking around with it is heavy.

So, to the workout:
Warmup: Getting the vest on. Getting the vest off. HSPU's. Getting the vest back on.

5 rounds of:
20 squats
10 lunges (5 with each leg)
3 modified pull-ups
10 good-mornings (releasing the straps so the front of the vesthangs down when you bend forward).
Remove vest
10x spartan push-ups (one hand near your shoulder, the other near your hip. Explode upwards, switch in mid-air so that the hand near the hip moves up to the shoulder and the one at the shoulder moves down to the hip.)

Results:
5 HSPU (PR)

All squats unbroken.
All lunges unbroken.
4 rounds of pull-ups, fifth round was 1 success 2 fails.
All good-mornings unbroken.
2 rounds of spartan push-ups unbroken, then 2 and stopped doing them.

The spartan push-ups were a lot harder than I thought... the biggest issue was that going into round 3 my shoulders were getting weary from the vest. Going in to round 4 I had so little energy that I was shaking in every excersize I did and I were sweating like a beast. Removing the vest feels like doing a hang-powerclean where the weight lands on your one shoulder. I also tried to work some technique on split-jerks and push-jerks which the vest is actually really well suited for... I also tried doing prison lunges or jumping lunges and had to break after doing 6 of them.

Now how much will I use this vest? Probably not enough for it to be worth the 1000 SEK I invested in it. I need to buy a real pull-up bar so I can do real pull-ups in my house, in which it might come handy for. It was really good for the squats... maybe 100 total squats was overdoing it a little bit, but they all felt pretty good. I`m looking into finding more uses for this vest, but I'm quite sure it's never going to leave the house unless I leave the weights here.

1 comment: