Friday 23 October 2009

Tabata yeah!


So I had to get some encouragement to take on Simon's workout today. I wore the shirt, and I only break this one out for 110% efforts and balls to the wall type stuff. So far it has worked! So here's looking at you kids!

Warmup: Jarovek Barbell

Workout: Tabata Something Else

Each round 20 seconds max work, 10 seconds res, no extra rest anywhere:
8 rds pullups
8 rds pushups
8 rds situps
8 rds squats

****caveat, I assumed that these were to be cycled through, and not 8 rds in a row of each exercise****

Pullups: 10/7/6/6/5/6/7/7 *not sure how I got back up to seven
Pushups: 24/17/15/14/12/12/11/13
Situps: 16/13/15/14/14/14/12/13
Squats: 18/18/19/18/17/19/19/19

Result: 430 reps

I was sucking air hard pretty much the whole time, but for some reason my energy sustained even on the last round . My chest was starting to burn pretty bad, and my sustained heartrate over the 16 min was avg 187

Post Workout: Did some work for form on power cleans:

Frankenstein 45 lb 6 reps
Scarecrow 45 lb 6 reps
Whip Unders 45 lb 6 reps
Tall Muscle Cleans (no dipping) 45 lb 6 reps
Scarecrow Dive Under 45 lb 6 reps
Violent Shrug Dive Under 45 lb 6 reps
Full power Clean 45 lb 6 reps

I just kept it light, I'm a bit wore out.

8 comments:

  1. You were actually supposed to to all rounds of one movement before moving to the next. But I'm sure you got a good workout this way as well. Just not the same acid-muscle failure experience :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye :) 8 rounds in a row! Still good workout, still good job!

    What the hell are these Frankenstein, scarecrow, whip unders, tall muscle cleans and all the crazy ass names? You've got to teach these to me, they sound awesome.

    I actually skipped training today. I felt feverish yesterday (I was really hot in the evening, don't have a thermometer (sp?)) and I bet I had a fever. Slept weird, woke up feeling "not great". Now at work I still feel a little feverish and not too great. Going to chill out today, see what I feel like tomorrow.

    For your next workout Aaron, go back to the ones we did early, pick one that seems to suit you the least well.

    /S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. All rounds of one movement and get yummy acid muscle failure :(. I'll do that next time.

    The weird names are all just micro-movements of the power clean. I think I found them on the OPT blog.

    Hope you gents are having a nice day. I'll do one of the harder workouts as you suggested

    ReplyDelete
  4. Questions:

    1) what's the benefit of the way I did the workout?

    2) what's the benefit of reaching acid muscle failure?

    3) any good resoruces out there online to learn more about eating better? I just have some general stuff from simon.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey bro,

    Actually I think the best resource is wikipedia. Read up about how the metabolism works, start reading up on the different parts of it. The protein synthesis, the glucose cycle, the atp cycles, insuline, glucagon, carbohydrate metabolism, what fatty acids do, lipids etc etc etc. The general 'diet' is really easy; lots of vegetables, lots of meat, as little raw starch as possible, little carbohydrates. A fruit or two every day. Don't compensate by complements. Only complement with complements. I try to keep it to less than 1 protein shake / day, if I can.

    /S

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's important to understand though. Knowledge is everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Took a rest day yesterday. Got my chest/back/butt/shoulders waxed and then ran out of time because I had some evening social obligations. heading to the gym for some pain now :)

    ReplyDelete